Academic Development & Support
Students at the College may access a variety of support services to assist them with coping with a range of problems and difficulties, whether personal or academic. These services are provided free of charge.
- Improving academic performance
- Assistance with study methods, exam preparation and time management
- Services for disabled or special needs students
Academic Support: Helping students realise their full potential
- We provide each learner the opportunity to realize his or her individual potential by creating a secure environment for effective learning. Our aim is to foster a positive attitude towards learning by providing the necessary support to develop self-esteem and self-confidence.
- As part of our assessment procedure, Comprehension, Reading and Spelling tests are administered as required, in order to establish a baseline and measure progress. Test results are also used to inform planning and to help develop appropriate individual teaching programmes. We offer a range of services in response to need, including small group and individual teaching. We work closely with subject staff to ensure continuity within the curriculum. Services offered include: Academic and psychological testing, assessment of student learning styles, current knowledge and skills.
What extra help is available in exams?
- Pupils who have been assessed by an Educational Psychologist or a Specialist teacher may be entitled to additional support in exams, for example a Reader, a Writer, Extra Time or be permitted to use a word processor.